Monday, July 23, 2018

This one is for my Dad

Writing from his diplomatic post in Port-au-Prince, Douglass wished his daughter, Rosetta, a happy 51st birthday.:

My dear Rose,

The first thought that came into my head this fine morning was that this is your fifty first Birth day. You have already passed the stage of life wherein people are called young. Fifty one years ago I had no idea that I should live to see you at your present age. All the boys that I knew when a boy are gone the way of the Earth. The sands of life are running out so fast with me that I some times ask myself why I am using up my last days in this exhausting climate. But after all what better could I do? I am now hoping for a line from you by the Steamer which will be due here on Thursday. I am almost afraid to open a letter from home lest I should find sickness death or disaster staring me in the face. Good news from home has not been my luck lately but “I still keep hoping on.” I see that Mr Bruce is being assailed by a man of the same stripe of those who assailed me but I think Bruce can stand it. My [next seven lines are blacked out] – In never have and never shall lower my head a single inch for all that such persons can say or do against me.

I think considering that all my family have knowledge of my intention to come home for a brief vacation it is creditable that no breath of it has got into the papers. I now think I shall reach New York about the 25th July – and may reach Washington on the night of the same day. The month between now and then will seem shorter at the other and than at this for I am anxious to get away from this enervating climate. I have not been really and soundly well for two months back though I manage to keep on my feet and make out to do some work, though not with my usual vigor. I am hoping made benefit from the voyage. I am usually pretty well at sea. This perhaps will be my last letter from Port au Prince, for the present. I expect much happiness in once more seeing you and your little flock, as indeed all the members of your family. I shall be glad as well as sorry to see Joseph Douglass because I know how little he likes to be in Washington and yet it may be for the best that he should be there. My love to all your flock

Your affectionate father –

Fredk Douglass
.

There are many things of historical note to say about this letter, but I post this because today is my 51st birthday and I can imagine my father saying the exact same things to me.

----------------------------
Source: FD to RDS, Port au Prince, 24 June 1890, Addition I, FDP, DLC [Note on top of page “22 yrs old when mama was born”]

No comments:

Post a Comment