Monday, April 4, 2011

Chapter 2 Has Left the Building!

The "shitty first draft" of my first completed chapter of Frederick Douglass's Women is now finished!

Yes, the title of this post says "Chapter 2," and it is the second chapter of the overall manuscript. No one says you have to write the thing in order, right?

When I wrote the public talk that I gave at Le Moyne and Montgomery Colleges, I had envisioned the first near half of it as being "Chapter 2: Anna Murray, Mrs. Frederick Douglass." Then I agreed to submit the paper for a workshop at SUNY-Binghamton. As I revised the colloquial language out and added more detail in, I found that the first chunk grew longer and longer and longer. "This is becoming a chapter as I write," I thought. So, I lopped off the last part, and committed to the chapter. 

Now, it's done and ready to enter the workshop ring this Friday!

Even better, parts of other chapters are written, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment