Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Last Week at Seneca Falls

If this works correctly, you should be able to see a video below of my talk at Seneca Falls last Friday, July 20, 2018. My apologies if you cannot. My apologies for the terrible angle if you can. 
For some odd reason, I sense a Laura Dern vibe in my delivery. Maybe it is the covering-an-accent accent that I have. Well, I should be so lucky as to resemble her in any way whatsoever.

Meanwhile, one of the fantastic features of giving public talks has to be meeting audience members engaged in their own work. When they share that work with you, even better! Carol Simon Levin, a librarian -- long live librarians! -- and writer who portrayed Abigail Adams over the weekend, graciously gave me a copy of her book Remembering the Ladies: From Patriots in Petticoats to Presidential Candiates, Amazing American Women, Not JUST a Coloring Book, now in its 2nd edition and preparing for its third.
I was also quite happy to recommend Majorie J. Spurill's Divided We Stand: The Battle Over Women's Rights and Family Values That Polarized American Politics. In talking Douglass, women's rights, intersectionality, and feminism, the saddest thing to realize is that we have to keep fighting the same battles over the same turf over and over. It's like World War I trench warfare, and just as bloody. We keep fighting because there is nothing else that you can do, even if the fight is to enlarge the body of knowledge and raise the next generation to be better that the last.


ETA: So, it appears that the video is too big to add into a blog post. Working on that behind the scenes at the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment